Do you want to work in Sweden?

Sweden is the third largest country in western Europe. Half of the country is covered in forests, with some 100,000 lakes. The population is 9 million, 85% living in the south and 1.9 million in Stockholm, the capital. In recent decades, a high level of immigration, primarily refugees from various parts of the world, has transformed Sweden into a multi-cultural society.  

Nordic citizens need no permit or special registration to live and work in Sweden.  

EU/EEA citizens can freely reside in Sweden for up to three months and may start working prior to registration with the Swedish Migration Board. Work permits are not required. Those wishing to stay longer than three months in Sweden must apply to register their right of residence. A residence certificate is issued to those who are employees, self-employed, service providers, students and those with sufficient funds to support themselves. Residence certificates will also be issued to family members who are EU/EEA citizens. Family members who are not EU/EEA citizens apply for a residence card. Family members who require a visa to enter Sweden must apply for a residence card before coming to Sweden.

In some cases, family members do not have right of residence. In such cases, if intending to stay longer than three months, you must apply for a residence permit under Swedish law. As an EU/EEA citizen you can submit an application after entering Sweden.  

All applications for residence certificates, cards and permits must be received by the Swedish Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

Non-EU citizens who have acquired the status of long-term resident in another EU Member State, and citizens of Switzerland, have similar rights to EU/EEA citizens. Those wishing to remain longer than three months in Sweden must apply for a residence permit within this period. Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries other than those mentioned above must apply for work and residence permits before entering the country.

Non-EU/EEA citizen looking for work in Sweden?


Information about work, working conditions and living conditions in Sweden and in other countries in the EU/EEA for job-seekers and employers is available in English and several other languages by clicking on the Eures link.



Welcome to chat with a Swedish EURES Adviser for information about the Labour market and your possibilities i Sweden. The chat room will be open every Friday between 10-13. Exceptions will be Bank Holidays.

Your qualifications in Sweden

Contact us

Eures logotyp

You can contact our Eures-advisers if you have questions about recruting within EU/EEA and Schweiz.

Contact by e-mail


Follow us on LinkedIn